Thursday, November 4, 2010

Tracyland is Back

Landscape Study #281, 5"x3" Oil on Cradled Panel, 2010

And so all of a sudden I am feeling a renewed energy and enthusiasm about everything; painting, marketing my work, reading, knitting, cleaning the house and even weeding and clearing out the dumb stupid messy gardens for the winter (which I have been very UNinterested in, lately). This enthusiasm is also extending to wanting to be a better blogger. Still not sure that I have as much to say as I used to, but I am going to keep trying. Just don't expect too much depth here for awhile, k??

It's no secret here that I have been struggling a bit with various things in the last year or two; a normal part of growing up, I think. Heh. Some of that has had to do with the crappy economy and the closing of several galleries that had been representing my work. However, I am not entirely blaming the economy for the slow down in sales, which has been even worse for me during this last year, because I have also neglected opportunities to be getting my work out there too. And part of THAT has been due to my being somewhat burned out on painting landscapes (which is what sells) and pursuing other subject matter such as the 'People You Know' series (which DON'T sell) and well, just being in flux as far as which directions to take, in life as well as in painting.

However, reality has helped to shake me out of this flux. We need more income what with looming college tuition (x3), various camps and programs that Doug and I really feel that our kids need right now in order to balance out living in this very small and sheltered environment, not to mention just keeping up with the money pit (our house and the barn is becoming very needy too). Doug's company is doing ok, but since they sell stuff, it is also vulnerable to the whims of the economy. Mostly though, I seem to be the weak link around here lately. With some additional effort I can earn more as an artist than I can in either of the two available jobs that I am not even qualified for in our little town, so more painting and much more marketing it is!

I am currently in the process of sorting through all my available inventory and have begun posting those works on my website. I have made a proposal to a local company (which I will not talk about again in order to NOT jinx it). I have been compiling a list of galleries and museums to stalk pursue and am in the midst of putting together my info to send out to them. I have also made a rather reluctant decision to publicize my sales blog, just a little bit. In normal times I probably wouldn't do that because I have preferred keeping that low key so as not to interfere with my gallery work. However, the sales of the small format paintings have been paying the bills lately so for the time being, I am going to be a painting pusher. heh.

I am starting to feel the same excitement that I did seven years ago when I began painting again and was trying to get something going. I am thankful that have so much more experience (and collectors!) this time though and I hope that will help balance out the whole crappy economy thing, just a little bit at least. However, even though I have pursued some things recently that I have declined to do before, such as selling my work myself and having a booth at a local Harvest Festival, I am still being very careful about my decisions and am continuing to stay firm on my long range goals.

So that means no Tracyland reality art show, folks. Although, now that I think about it, that would be a good name for one. hmmmm........

4 comments:

SamArtDog said...

Whenever I see a new Tracy painting thumbnail on my blogroll, it's an "oh boy!". And it's not just because they're as rare as *ahem* hen's teeth. As usual, this is another good'un.

ATTENTION, FOLKS!
These small paintings on panel by Tracy are A REALLY GOOD DEAL! By buying them, you can support the arts, be an actual art collector, and give really great presents. Did I mention that the prices are super reasonable?

Get thee to her sales blog or website ASAP!
(She did not pay me to say this.)

Annette Weiner Art said...

Hi Tracy! I am a fellow artist and have been following your blog and facebook page for 2 months now. I love your work and reading your blog. I admire your work ethic too. I hope the economy picks up for all of us. I returned to my painting and photography (mostly photography) a year ago, with both kids off in college. My paintings has been accepted into juried shows and I am selling some photographs. I'm having a hard time getting back into the studio lately. I need to build up a body of paintings. I hope when I do I won't want to stop. Life stess makes photography more manageable for me at the moment. I am marketing myself, have a fb art page, started a blog, etc. I was wondering how long it took you to build a following and whether you have any tips on how to create a following for my blog? I'm very new at this. My website is http://www.annetteweinerart.com/ My blog is http://www.annetteweinerart.blogspot.com/ You can also write me at annetteweiner@gmail if you have the time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Nice to meet you Tracy! Keep up the great work! Annette

Janelle Goodwin said...

Okay, Sam convinced me (just kidding). I've always admired your landscapes and just bought Landscape Study #281. I was thinking of giving it as a Christmas present, but decided to give it to myself. Yay!

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

go Tracy go!!!
but bummer about no Tracyland reality show though....I'd watch that in a second!