Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Good News and Bad News

Horizon Lines (38), 2009, Oil on Birch Panel, 12x16

Well, the good news is that I have six nice paintings (one shown above) finished so far for my show at the Carrie Haddad Gallery in August. I have about 3 weeks left to do about a dozen small ones and one or two larger ones. So I am feeling pretty good about my progress here.

The bad news is that I put the color on the 4'x4' panel (below) that is supposed to be the "centerpiece" of the show, and I pretty much hate it! (although it does look better in person than it does in this photo) I had a few doubts about the underpainting, but since that doesn't always mean the end result will suck, I kept going. However, in this case, I can see now how much better the whole piece would be if I had not extended the tree line up on the right. I usually catch those compositional issues at the underpainting stage but I guess this one slipped by me. Blech. And if I don't catch them, sometimes I can fix them with the color, but not this time. The underpainting of the trees here is so strong that if I were to extend the sky down over the them, I would lose the translucency in that area. And I hate when that happens.

So I will decide for sure tomorrow, but I have a strong feeling this one is headed for the sand down pile, and quickly. May as well try again on that same panel, since it's already prepped.......

11 comments:

Alicia Blaze Hunsicker said...

Hi Tracy, I actually REALLY LOVE that piece, dont trash it. (thats my 2 cents anyway) It could be the first piece that sells! Ya just never know...Great work.
~ Alicia

sarahfburns said...

I just read your last few blog posts and you've got a lot going on right now! I'm impressed with your work ethic and energy. It's all going to work out fine. Sometimes the paintings I am most embarrassed about are other people's favorite. take care of yourself, have a nap if you need it...

Melody said...

Yeah, I agree with Sarah. Sometimes the piece I hate the most is the one that sells the quickest. You just never know!

Gary's third pottery blog said...

hmmmm....

Anonymous said...

If it was one of my painting I would turn it upside down and start from there. I love the composition upside down. A brilliant division of the panel. This is not meant as a snide comment I and other painters do this all the time

Anonymous said...

Hi Tracey,

Not too keen on the top one, but really attracted to the second.

If that's your trash, I'll be passing your driveway for a pick-up.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Alicia, Sarah, Melody, thanks for pointing that out. Doug and I have a running joke, that he is an expert at disliking the piece that is the first to sell!

Anonymous, Not a bad idea, and composition wise I would consider it, however it would still not quite be what I am going for here. But thanks ;)

Anonymous 2, well, thanks, I think ;) I know that it's all a matter of opinion, but I just need to feel good about what I put out there. Alas, I'm not feeling it about this piece, despite the fact that others like it.

Unknown said...

Can you afford to set the piece aside for now? (Perhaps facing the wall...) When it is time to pack everything up and deliver the show, you might decide it's ok to show it then.

This is the 'just give it time' solution. You can always sand it down later if you still want to do that.

Joan Breckwoldt said...

Hi Tracy,
Here's my two cents worth for what it's worth. Why not change the color and value of that tree line that you don't like, make is closer in value to the sky? you could make is something like a lighter purple, or distant blue, that way it might not be so . . . strong.
I love your work, good luck at the show!!!
Joan

Tracy Helgeson said...

Debre, normally, I would set it aside and decide later, however, this is the only large scale panel that I have on hand! I worked on it a bit more yesterday and even though it is improved, it doesn't have the punch that i want it to have.....

Joan, good suggestion but alas, my process has some limitations and making a dark area lighter is one of them. i could scumble it, but even when I do that it is difficult to get the same feel back that the rest of the piece has. But thanks, lightening the trees would be effective I think ;)

Julie R said...

Love that Horizon Lines painting!