Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My Studio Feels Like an Empty Uterus



Much enjoyment, happiness, good energy, frustration, worry and stress here in my studio in the last few months. Then in a mad rush, everything is out the door and I am left with more than a few things to clean up. Hopefully I did my job right though and my paintings will be able to function and attract others out in the real world.

The delivery itself though was not without some drama. I was about 10 miles away from Williamstown, thoroughly enjoying Dixie Kitchen by my girl crush Mary Gauthier, when the tire light lit up on my dashboard. I was hoping to get somewhere but was on a long and very empty stretch of road. Soon I was hearing a flapping sound from the rear tire and so I pulled over into a driveway. Completely flat tire! Luckily there was cell service and I called the gallery, they called someone and within about a half hour someone came out to change my tire. I actually know how to change a tire, but the rub here is that I am quite sure I would have never figured out how to get the dang spare tire out of my newfangled car! It was very complicated. You have to do about 14 things and then the spare drops out from the underside of the car and then you have to do about ten more maneuvers to release it. Anyway, the guy changed my tire in about two minutes, took my flat to get it patched, I went on to the gallery to drop off my work. I spent some time chatting and we discussed the work. I was relieved that they LOVED the large panel (shown below, and I MUST insist to you all yet again that the painting is infinitely better in real life), sure did not want to drag that one home and back up the stairs to my attic studio! I did however, have to take back some unsold work, which always sucks just a little. Stupid economy! These were pieces that definitely would have sold a year ago......

I then went off to find the tire place, they put my patched tire back on and I was on my way back home. But somehow, even though I take this drive all the time, I missed a turn! Maybe it was Ray LaMontagne's fault, as he was singing very loudly in my car. It took awhile before I realized the wrong turn (Ray is my boy crush) and after I did it then took me forever to get back to the highway I wanted to be on, not to mention having to wade through tons of 5 o'clock traffic in an unfamiliar area. Blech!

But I eventually made it home and today am looking at a messy, but empty studio. I will clean it up though, put things away, reorganize, get some energy back and will soon be interested in starting the whole process all over again.

Just gotta love the whole process!

This Day, 2009, Oil on Birch Panel, 40x60

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post title made me laugh---especially since I'm pregnant.

Best of luck for a good show and for getting the energy back. It is such an ebb and flow.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

whoa...quite a post--I love it when the studio empties out and I can fill it again---about your tire, were you on rte from Albany-Troy? Man, that's quite a hill down into W.town, glad your tire didn't blow in a steep spot

M.A.H. said...

woo-hoo!

CMC said...

What a coincidence......I had a blowout taking my work to a show in Dallas late February. I've never had one before but a big pop and the tire held until I could get to an exit and call the tire people and the gallery.
I had a good response to the paintings as will you I'm sure as your work looks fabulous.

Shanster said...

Great post - the title had me laughing and I dug in to read with relish. Flat tires suck... glad you made it to the gallery and the LOVED your large panel. I wish I could see your work in person to get the fabulousness!

Best of luck to you! Hope it all sells for gobs o' money!!!

Cheers - Shanster

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

thank you for the entertaining story! glad everything turned out well... wish I could see that large panel, for some reason there is a blank spot there.. hmmm..
take a deep breath and start filling that studio uterus again!

Natalya Khorover Aikens said...

it showed up! wonderful! hope it finds a new home soon...

Ellen said...

Ha!, that's just the best damn title for a blog post I've read yet. My studios been gestating for about 5 years, it times I face the pain and birth my work out already, sheesh.

Sorry about your trip woes, but congrats on that big pre-opening sale I heard about! Go Tracy!

Drain Cleaning Shoreline said...

Great reading your blog posst