Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday, Monday

Aunt Bettie Looks Just Like Margaret Thatcher, 2009, Oil on Birch Panel, 16x20

Wow, I have been a bit neglectful concerning this blog. Not intentionally but the last part of last week got pretty hectic with a variety of different things and I just didn't have the time or energy to come up with anything for you folks here. Will try again this week to get back on a more regular blog writing schedule. Not only for all you lovely readers but also for me, I tend to feel a bit out of sorts if I don't post regularly too.

I have also actually been pretty busy in the studio. Soon you will be seeing landscapes here again, I have several that are nearly done and will start posting them as soon as they are photographed. It was actually quite nice to slide back into the landscape work. I hadn't done any (with the exception of the very small pieces for my sales blog) in over six months and so really wasn't sure what would happen. But it's all good so far; only one for the sand down pile in this batch, not bad odds really.

The above painting is the most recent portrait in the People You Know series. It was looking a bit blah until out of desperation I added a transparent green glaze and then: zowie! Pulled it all together and gave it some zip to boot. I still have two larger portraits to add color to and hope to get to them this week.

Might be tough though, as it turns out that this week is winter break (I learned that fact last Thursday-obviously there was a glitch in my Master Calender procedures) and so the kids are all home, all day, every day. They have however, agreed to sit quietly and watch tv for at least part of each day so that I can get some work done anyway. We'll see how THAT goes. Heh.

7 comments:

Deborah Paris said...

This is my favorite so far on the portraits- and she does look a bit like Lady Thatcher! Looking forward to those new landscapes too.

Katherine Kean said...

Wow, this looks great - I likew the attitude. I'm also looking forward to the landscapes.

Gary's third pottery blog said...

the kids sure do seem to have a lot of vacations, don't they? this is what my TAX DOLLARS GET ME??????

Vikki North said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vikki North said...

Hello Fair Artist who paints beautiful portrait of Auntie Bettie,
We have been watching you. We are artist also. At least that's what they call us. You may even know us. We'd like to invite you to a member of our very Private Club. We're very selective and only an elite few are welcome on our hallowed grounds. We pick you.

We even have a little 'chit chat' room just for the likes of you. It's rightfully called Dante's Pub. But when your enter BEWARE! You are entering the abyss of the artist mind! You may not find your way out.

You're welcome to watch from afar while drinking your brew or pull up a chair and join us for a little chat. Be sure and register and then log in. After all, this is a very private club. We don't allow just any wanderer in our midst.

Don't dilly dally now! It wont cost you a pence. Check out The Artist Challenge and Dante's Pub- that is if your daring and think yourself worthy to be amongst the souls we've claimed?

Farewell...until we hear from you,
Master Mike and the Pub Wench

Artist Challenge- http://www.theartistchallenge.com/
Dante‘s Pub - http://www.theartistchallenge.com/art-forum/

Melody said...

Another great portrait. I agree totally the green glaze really pulls it all together. My kids are off for winter break too but at least not until March. At least with your studio you can remain upstairs with the door closed, I on the other hand can hear them yelling at me from the kitchen. Where's the peanut butter?.....

Tracy Helgeson said...

Completely unintentional, Deborah. The real Aunt Bettie does not look like Ms. Thatcher, but somehow my interpretation does. Go figure. Probably more of a reflection of my drawing skills than anything else:)

Katherine, I am quite pleased with her smirk too:) Thanks.

Gary, you don't have to tell me how many days off those kids have! Although I suspect I am taking it a bit more personally than you do, I am quite sure it's all a plot to drive me crazy, hehe.

Red Chair, thanks for the very, um, interesting invite. I will be checking that out even though I need LESS to do at the computer, not more:)

Melody, well, shutting the door can work both ways. They have been known to plot against me while I am up here oblivious to their antics. Dang, shoulda bought a monitor when I had the chance:)