Tuesday, July 1, 2008

More With the Garden

I know that I always say this but this time it's really true. I have been so busy. Not just my regular plain old busy, but crazy, mind-numbingly busy. The last four days have gone by in a whirlwind and thinking back, I am not even sure that they really even happened.

I won't bore you with the details, but I will say that it involved much kid stuff, new studio organization, painting (walls AND landscapes), gardening and true torture: paperwork. Ack!!

Today got off to an even more hectic start. After not having near enough sleep I woke up at 5:30AM and decided that I really had to get out to the garden and finish putting down the weed barriers. We had literally forced our kids to pull out weeds on Sunday (O, the horror on their faces! It was GREAT!) and I realized that I better get everything covered before the next batch showed up. So I spent four hours covering the sides of the beds with newspaper and then laying down the weed barrier. I also carried 9000 armfuls of rotting grass clippings (didn't feel like dealing with the wheelbarrow) and covered the beds to deter more weed growth. For awhile anyway.

I spent the rest of the day driving back and forth to town, taking the kids to various appointments then when I got back home I realized I still had to rinse off the lettuce that I had picked this morning. Two garbage bags full. Good grief. Why did I plant so much? I am one step away from opening up a roadside vegetable stand.

Tomorrow should be a bit more relaxed. I will put up some new pictures of my studio. It's looking good!

Here are a few shots of the garden today. Strawberry bed and sugar peas in the first photo. We are about a week away from eating more peas than anyone could ever want.

The potatoes are in the foreground. They look crazy and I am a little afraid of them. I am not even kidding here, they have grown at least two feet in the last week. Four beds of tomatoes are behind them. Again, what was I thinking planting so many?!

Here is a good image of the paths. The next step is to fill them with wood mulch. Hopefully we will get that done THIS summer.


And now I am off to stare blankly at the TV until I fall into a blissful sleep.

2 comments:

Chris Rywalt said...

I've heard that digging potatoes out is hard work. Let us know how it goes.

I spotted our yard rabbit again the other day. It sat in the middle of the lawn chewing up some lettuce-like weed we have all over the place. I guess it was done wiping out my son's farm.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Heh. I am sure Doug will be glad to let you all know how hard it is:)

Penny takes care of our rabbits. meaning she catches them, then kills and then eats them, leaving a bloody mess somewhere on our property. You probably aren't interested in going that route though. If you want to protect your farm though, there are some things you can cover your veggies up with. However I suspect you are done for this season:))