Friday, November 16, 2007

A Near Miss

Head on View, 2007, Oil on Panel, 8x10

I seldom get sick anymore. The last time I had a fever/flu (I don't do flu shots) was about 12 years ago and it's been almost three years since I have had a cold. So when I began to feel funny a few days ago I didn't pay any attention to it at all, just thinking I was tired. But Wednesday night I started having chills and sweats, coughing and had a low fever.

While trying to sleep that night, I worried about the timing of this. Months ago, I had made all of the travel arrangements for this weekend's trip to Pittsburgh for the solo show opening reception and the way I felt on Wednesday, I was pretty sure that I would not be able to go. The thought of getting on an airplane seemed downright painful.

BUT, on Thursday I didn't feel worse and in fact after taking it easy all day and loading up on tea and Vitamin C, I felt much better last night. So even though I don't feel 100% Doug and I are going to leave this afternoon after all.

When it was looking like I wouldn't be going, I felt really bad about the thought of missing it. I mean, if you're sick you are sick and standing around talking and shaking hands with people isn't a great idea, but I feel a lot of self induced pressure to be at the openings, especially the receptions for a solo show. I feel grateful to the galleries that are giving me these exhibition opportunities and the best way that I can support their efforts, besides supplying fab work, is to be at the openings.

This does raise an interesting issue though. How to handle last minute situations that arise right before an opening or event? When I started all of this I often had "anxiety" dreams, where I would dream that I simply forgot to go to the event. As if! Things do come up though and I guess I have been lucky so far that nothing in my personal life has interfered with the art stuff.

The painting I have posted today is one that will be on display in the show at Boxheart (the opening is this Saturday, November 17, 6-9pm, for those of you who may live in the area) and I wanted to mention that it's an unusual painting for me in the sense that it is a straightforward view of a barn. I have tried these sorts of views and compositions before but they have always failed miserably. They just look extremely flat and static, so I usually add a little tilt or change the angle slightly. For some reason, however, this one just worked, in fact it's one that just painted itself.

5 comments:

Steppen Wolf said...

You have strong brushstrokes showing. Maybe an artifact of the lighting... Have not seen this in your jpegs before...
Nice one.
Good luck on the opening (of course, you are a pro now)....

Marjojo said...

It's a freezing cold morning and I'm waiting for the heating to do its job and what popped into my mind? Your paintings which seem to glow from inside and emanate a soft yet fiery warmth. So I rushed to my computer and yes, I found what I wanted, and more. Those reds and oranges and yellows you use, you just make them pulsate.
Hope your reception went well (nose not glowing?).

Anonymous said...

Yes... strong brushtrokes I agree and lovely pallete.

drips of paint said...

that is so true ... how come it works? ... and it does, if you have not mention your concern I would not even question why it works... it just works. It is different from what you showed b4 ... very nice and convincing piece.

Glad you can attend your own opening .. wish show goes well.

It is getting cold too over at LA I'll have to watch out not to catch cold...thanks for reminder.

best

Tracy Helgeson said...

Sunil, I think what you can see, because of the lighting mostly, is the layer of gesso that is underneath the painting. That creates most of the texture in my work. The oil paint is very thin and usually shows very little texture.

Marjojo, so glad to be of assistance to you on a cold day:)

Thanks Angela.

Tim, well I am glad it seems to work effortlessly. I can't why that is, but maybe it's best not to actually know:)