Friday, August 3, 2007

No More Free Time!

Purple Zinnia, 2007, Oil on Panel, 4"x4"

One of my favorite things is to see the studios of other artists. So you can imagine my delight when I came across this blog.

I feel so much better after seeing spaces that have about nine million more items in it than my space has in it. Clearly, I am not the only artist/pack rat out there.

You can see a post about my studio here. It's still pretty much the same except much messier and more crowded. heh.

And I am off today to pick up my daughters, who have been away at camp for twelve wonderful days. Despite having a list of projects to do while they were gone, I ended up not doing any of them. I did, however, realize that they are a surprising amount of work, based on the fact that I had very little daily stuff to do while they have been gone. No picking up clutter, much less laundry, no major meals to cook and fewer dishes to wash. I have had a plethora of pens on my desk for the last twelve days and every time I look for the kitchen scissors, they are exactly where they should be. Also, no hugs and kisses goodnight, giggling, reading out loud each night or messy art projects at the kitchen table (the boys are beyond most of those things, they are way too cool!).

Ok, ok, I can't wait to get them back home!

6 comments:

Kesha Bruce said...

Tracy, glad you're doing more florals. I generally am not a flower type of gal, but I dig your compositions.

Ok, this is totally off topic, but you mentioning our kids made me think of this. I'd love to hear you talk more about your career as an artist in relationship to your your job as a Mom. (notice capital M.)

As a child-free lady of leisure, I'm always bringing this up with fellow lady artists.

How on earth do you ladies do it?

dripsofpaint said...

oh Tracy...my studio are soooo cluttered that I would not want to put a photo up....that will be my coming new year resolution to clean it up....relatively your studio looks heaven to mine

That was an interesting link to "on my desk" blog

Also thank you for your last post. such generous and useful information, it is very helpful to me.

love the background color it works so well with the floral

have a great weeked with the kids
tim

Steven LaRose said...

You have to have fertile soil or fecund piles in order to cultivate the beautiful paintings that you have been making lately.

Chris Rywalt said...

You know, Kesha, it's not easy having the job of Dad and being an artist, either. Especially since my kids don't go away to camp for twelve days (yes, Tracy, I'm jealous).

Tracy Helgeson said...

Kesha, Thanks and I am not really a flower painting kind of gal either, but I have toyed with them occasionally and am usually pleased with the results.

I have written a bit about being an artist as well as a parent (just trying to include Chris here:)), but maybe it's time to revisit the issue, now that my career has evolved a bit. You can check this out in the meantime.

Drips (Tim), So glad to be able to offer some useful info for once!:) I don't care if your studio is cluttered, those are the best ones!

Thanks Steven. I don't think I have ever received a compliment that included the word "fecund". I love it!

Chris, dang, you figured it out. I sent them away to make you jealous:) If it makes you feel any better, the boys were home the whole time and they sure do smell bad, especially in the summer. Ugh!

Chris Rywalt said...

William loves to come over and shove his armpit in my face. "Smell it! I STINK!" he shouts.

That boy is weird.