Monday, August 21, 2006

No More Dragging My Butt, Hopefully

I worked in my studio on Saturday evening. I don't usually like to paint at night, unlike my college days when all-nighters were the norm, but I really wanted to get some new pieces started and that was the only chance that I had that day. I have a good number of pieces finished for the show at Enderlin Gallery (12!), that I have to deliver this Sunday, but I'd like to do a few more to round things out.

I have started to feel a bit burned out from painting almost nonstop all summer, or so I thought that that was the reason. I had recently slid into a bit of a rut, mostly painting the same imagery over and over, using the same reference materials and not changing my palette too much. While the work still looked pretty good, I was NOT having much fun. After our trip to New Hampshire, I got hundreds of new images to use as a starting point and they have really helped me to get my groove back. While doing the under paintings based on a few of those photos, I felt absolutely exhilarated! Such a lovely feeling. Usually cranking out the work can really be a positive for my creativity and enthusiasm, but now I know that it can go the other way too if I am not careful.

Note to Self: It's time to change things up when you have to start dragging your butt into the studio, rather than eagerly looking forward to each session.

PS. For some stupid technical reason, Safari quits every time that I try to download an image. If anybody out there (Chris) has any idea why, or how I can fix this, let me know. I am NOT technically proficient and this could take me weeks to figure out!

5 comments:

James Wolanin said...

Tracy, it's nothing on your end. A number of people are having problems uploading images to Blogger.

Karen Jacobs said...

Creating large inventories of credible work that galleries and clients like can be a real bore. The fun (and the real art part) is in the search, the puzzle, the surprise... once you have the formula, you begin to understand why some successful artists have assistants. We become artisans rather than artists. The potter who makes the same bowl, beautiful as it is, repeatedly. I know the feeling.

amber said...

The amount of art you are able to produce in the time frame is astonishing

Jeffrey Hayes said...

I agree with Amber... it's time for you to formally join the Painting-A-Day echelon ;)

Tracy Helgeson said...

Thanks, Amber. Well it's not like I am painting any detail or anything! Simplicity has it's benefits.

Jeff, I've thought about it, because I love the concept. I'd have to do some other kind of work though, maybe drawing, because my oils, because they are painted in layers and need several days. I probably do average a painting a day though.