Monday, July 24, 2006

An (Almost) All Nighter



Classic Red Barn, 2005, Oil on Panel, 8x10








Doug and I had a great time at the Midnight Ramble in Woodstock on Saturday. I plan to sit down and write about it, but I have an unbelievable amount of work to do today so hopefully I will be able to do it on Tuesday or maybe Wednesday.

What I can tell you quickly is that staying up until 4 am has become a bad thing for me. After years of all nighters in college and then years of no sleep because of babies (I still have not slept through the night, without waking up for some reason or other, since 1995) you'd think getting by on 4 hours of sleep would be tolerable. But, evidently there is something about that 4 hours starting at 4am that throws the whole thing off. The show ended at 1am and we had all this stuff going on at home on Sunday so we had planned to drive the 2 1/2 hours home, rather than stay overnight in Woodstock, my favorite place. But we should have just stayed because I was totally useless all day on Sunday. I did make a batch of cookies, and cleaned up the kitchen but then went to take a nap. I wanted to NOT be bumping into things all day as well as to be able to string a coherent sentence together, as we had out of town visitors coming Sunday evening. Despite doing all of the driving and being almost 50, Doug somehow fared better than I. He went to the hardware store, the grocery store, AND cleaned our son's room (which doubles as a guest room) and two bathrooms for our guests.

2 comments:

meno said...

I can no longer stay up past midnight without repercussions.

How the mighty have fallen.

Tracy Helgeson said...

Yes, we once ruled the world at 3am.

I can't believe night life has gone on without me, happily, it seems.